(1917 - 2004)
Ukrainian born Milton Resnick immigrated to New York with his family in 1922, where he would become one of the last survivors of the first generation of Abstract Expressionists. Resnick began his artistic training at the age of 14 at the Pratt Institute Evening School of Art followed by attendance at the American Artists’ School, where he shared a budding interest in abstraction with classmate Ad Reinhardt. By 1938, Resnick rented his first studio, on West 21st Street, near Willem de Kooning. While briefly working for the W.P.A. Arts Project, Resnick studied under Hans Hofmann, but was soon after drafted into the army where he completed four and a half years of service during World War II. Upon his return to New York, Resnick became a member of the 8th Street Club and was in close contact with New York’s avant-garde into the early 1950s.
Milton Resnick taught at art schools across the country as well as at the New York Studio School. In 1985 the Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston, organized a retrospective of his work. Resnick’s work is held in many public collections, including those of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art and the Museum of Modern Art, New York; the National Gallery of Art and the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington D.C.; the Oakland Museum of Art and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, California among many others.
75 x 45.5 inches, oil on canvas